The Delta Pilot Selection Process

 Unlike most of my blog entries, this entry is specific to Delta Air Lines (Yup, "Air Lines" is two words for Delta!)


I have had my application in at Delta (via airlineapps.com) since I finished initial training at Envoy Airlines.  I knew they would not select me that soon, but it made it easy to just keep updating the application until one day I had what Delta wanted.  I recommend doing the same.

At the time of selection, here is what I had:

  • Regional Airline First Officer
  • LOSA Pilot for Regional Airline
  • TT: 2000
  • Part 121: 1010
  • Masters Degree
  • Military Service
  • 5000 Volunteer Hours
  • University Professor

To prepare your application, take a look at the video below.  This hour long video will explain the in's and out's of your application.  The majors are looking at the details, and it is very important to ensure your application has that attention to detail.

The Application (if this link does not work, please email me)

Once my application was selected by Delta, I received an email to take a Cog Assessment.  Using a prep service to practice is highly recommended.  I spent way more money than I should have using another service, and should have stuck with https://airlineassessmentprep.com/cut-e-tests-and-assessments/

The link above has the same practice as services that charge hundreds of dollars.  Once you feel confident in your abilities, take the assessment.  The assessment is recorded.

Within a week or two, you will receive either an invite to interview or a "thanks but no thanks" (TBNT).  Using the number on the invite email, I scheduled my interview.  Luckily someone had just canceled for a date with ten days, so I took that!

The stress quickly added on.  I needed to get a suit ready, logbooks prepped, documents ready, and prep for the interview itself.  The interview confirmation email has a list of everything you must bring to the interview.  Here is my advice:

Logbook: If you have a digital logbook, I highly recommend https://www.prosoftbinders.com.  I gave them a call and they spent an hour on the phone telling me EXACTLY what Delta was going to want.  They know each airline well and can even give you pointers for your interview.  Their reference page (https://www.prosoftbinders.com/pilot-logbook-resources/) is great.  Make sure you read the "Best Practices" and follow it to a "T".  I ordered the logbook, did not use "rush," and selected three day shipping.  The logbook was at my house in four days total.

Suit: If you are going to interview for Delta- you better have a red tie!  Dark blue or black suit is the recommended colors.

Interview Prep: Stop paying for interview prep services unless you really really need help learning how to answer questions.  Delta ask (3) HR questions (tell me about yourself, how do you handle a situation where you have coworkers disagreeing, etc.) and (5) "Pilot" questions (Tell me about a time when, or what would you do if.). They do NOT want scripted answers.  The interview is extremely stress free- its just a conversation.  Spend your prep time just thinking of stories over the years that might be good to use.  You all have stories of difficulties along the way.  Always think: Conflict resolution, teamwork, leadership, aviator).  If you would like some examples of questions, the ONLY interview prep service I personally would spend money on is https://www.aviationinterviews.com.  These are EXACTLY questions asked.  Delta told us at the interview, their questions have been the same since 2006.  They can tell when you have scripted an answer verses giving them a honest answer.

Your interview day is long.  But honestly, it was extremely pleasant and stress free.  The staff are extremely welcoming.  They ensure you know what you need, when you need it, where you need to be, when you need to be there, and what is next.  Take a breath.  They want you- (they selected your application didn't they?). All they want to see at the interview is that you are who your application says you are and you will fit in with company culture.  

The interview day is made up of: Panel Interview (conversation), NMPI II evolution (nothing to study for this- its a personality test), a psych eval, and if selected for CJO- finger printing, background check, drug screen.

You will NOT be able to have your cell phone or smart devices including tablets and watches the entire day- even on lunch break.  Make sure your family knows you will be out of contact.  If you are expecting any emergency calls, you will tell the facilitator and they will keep your phone, answering ONLY the call you tell them to.

Bottom line, the entire process was stressful until I got to the interview day.  Why? Because I let me self stress due to the unknown.  Stop stressing, take a breath- they want you!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airline Applications

From "Zero to Hero" (Student to Airline Pilot)